Reddit legal advice is an online forum that gives posters the opportunity to get free legal advice. Those who post legal questions or concerns can create a free account and choose a username order to remain anonymous. Anyone can answer that question which can be a blessing or a curse because there is no guarantee that the responder has any legal background or training. However, the legal advice on Reddit is free, which is enough of an incentive to encourage many people to use it. The alternative is to hire a lawyer for several hundred dollars an hour.
The Types of Questions on Reddit Legal Advice
Most of the questions posted on the Reddit legal advice forum do not concern complex legal matters, nor should they. If you have a situation that is complicated legally, it’s wise to consider investing in the time of a licensed attorney. Also keep in mind that because the responders are anonymous, you will not know if they’re actually a lawyer even if they tell you they are. Some of the most common legal areas that are brought up in the forum include:
- Petty theft issues. These are similar to what might be dealt with in small claims court.
- Landlord/tenant/renter and frequent trespasser situations.
- Assault. (Legal issues of this nature may be more safely and effectively handled through official channels such as the police and a personal attorney.)
- Employment, unemployment, workers’ rights. If posting a question on these matters, keep in mind that laws in these areas vary by state, so if the responder is not an attorney where you live, their information may be wrong.
How to Post on Reddit Legal Advice
If you have a legal question that you’d like to post on Reddit, the process is very simple. Simply do the following:
- Go to the website at https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/
- Click “Submit a new text post.”
- Create a new account and click Sign Up. (For your username, do not use your real name in order to protect your privacy.)
- Choose a title for your legal question. Make it clear, concise, and interesting so that it captures attention on the Reddit legal advice forum.
- In the description field, write out your legal question or concern. Be detailed, but leave out information that people could use to figure out your name or address or the people involved in your situation. It’s very important to maintain your confidentiality so that nobody tracks you down or sues you for defamation, etc.
Reddit forums have their own jargon and acronyms which can be confusing if you don’t know what they mean. Here are some of the most common ones:
- OP. Responders may refer to you as “OP” which stands for Original Poster.
- Some responders to your post may preface their answer with, “IANAL” which is short for, “I Am Not A Lawyer (this is an uninformed opinion).”
If you have a legal question that is more complex than what Reddit legal advice can do for you, consider contacting an attorney who may be able to provide a free initial consultation.