Injuries caused by hospital accidents and medical negligence can lead to severe consequences that cause short-term, long-term, disabling, or life-threatening damage. After a hospital error, a victim may have to undergo additional medical treatment that can cause greater expenses and lead to a more lengthy recovery time.
Compensation You Might Expect to Receive
For this reason, victims of hospital accidents may be entitled to compensation for their injuries and financial losses they suffered from the wrongdoing. This can include compensation for some of these:
- Past and future medical treatment
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Additional hospital visits
- Pain and suffering
- Corrective surgery
- Prescription medication
- Medical assistive equipment
- Cost for a caregiver
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of reputation
A hospital accident attorney’s experience helping victims of negligence provides them with the capability and knowledge necessary to assess the value of a medical malpractice claim accurately. Hospital negligence attorneys can work to help you get the maximum compensation you need to recover from your injury.
Examples of Healthcare Negligence
There are numerous acts of negligence where a hospital accident claim can be brought, such as:
- Failing to monitor a patient properly
- Making anesthesia errors
- Misdiagnosis, delays in diagnosis, or failure to diagnose the patient’s condition
- Neglecting to check into a patient’s medications and medical history
- Failing to recognize and respond to birth complications appropriately
- Failing to respond to patients needs
- Failing to provide patients adequate nutrition and hydration
- Failing to establish and follow safety protocols
- Neglecting to maintain sterile operating rooms or sanitary areas for patients
- Failing to hire adequate or qualified staffing
To win your legal case, you must be able to prove the hospital failed to live up to the medical community’s standards of medical care.
How a Medical Accident Lawyer Builds Your Case
If you were injured due to a hospital’s failure to provide proper care, a hospital accident lawyer could pursue all options available to win you a monetary award of damages. Medical accident attorneys can help you build a case that supports your claim through:
- Obtaining copies of your medical records
- Investigating the surgery or procedure in which you were injured or lost your loved one
- Reviewing and verifying the credentials of the healthcare professionals who provided you medical treatment
- Consulting with and retaining expert witnesses who can give testimony proving the hospital was negligent.
- Examining the hospital’s hiring procedures and whether its staff are fully qualified to perform medical procedures
- Assessing the hospital’s patient care procedures
Be aware that there is a specific amount of time you have to file your claim against the negligent medical provider, hospital, or medical facility. You must submit your claim within this statute of limitations. If you fail to file within this time frame, your case will probably be dismissed, and you cannot pursue compensation.
To find out more about how to receive compensation for a medical negligence claim, contact Charlottesville, VA hospital accident lawyers for a review of your claim. Your attorney can help you determine if the hospital or medical facility where you were treated can be held accountable for your injury and financial losses.
Thanks to MartinWren, P.C. for their insight into personal injury claims and how to get compensation for hospital accidents.