Immigration Law Basics

There are a huge amount of people who think they can show up at a U.S. consulate or border post, and be welcomed in. Regrettably, this isn’t how the U.S. immigration system works.

People who want to migrate to the United States of America, temporarily or permanently, must choose if they fit into an eligibility category for either permanent residence (a “green card”) or a temporary stay (“non-immigrant visa”).

Then they have to submit an application or a series of applications to one or more of the U.S. agencies responsible for carrying out the immigration laws, requesting either a visa or a particular immigration “status.”

These agencies are the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), which has offices all across the United States and a few overseas, and the U.S. Department of State (DOS), which administers consulates and embassies around the world. If you’re already in the United States legally, then you can consult an immigration attorney, like Attorney Rivera, West Palm Beach to help you with the procedures.

What is a Permanent Residence (a Green Card)?
If you want to be able to make your permanent home in the United States, you’ll need a permanent residence, which is indicated by a green card. Green card holders can live and work in the United States and travel in and out, with very few constraints.

Family members of U.S. citizens and permanent residents who receive green cards make up the largest number of those admitted into the United States. Others are issued to investors and workers who have been appealed by U.S. employers or have special skills. Still, other categories have a humanitarian basis, such as refugee or asylum status, or people who are fleeing persecution.

What is a Temporary Visa?
Non-immigrant visa or Temporary Visa is the people who want to come to the United States for a limited time. This allows them to take part in specified activities (such as studying, visiting, or working) until their permitted time in the U.S. runs out.

Students and businessmen make up the largest groups of non-immigrant visa holders. Non-immigrant visas are also issued for tourists, exchange visitors, and workers with some kind of speciality that is deficient in the U.S. workforce.

Need help to apply for a temporary visa call Attorney Rivera, West Palm Beach or visit one of our immigration attorneys who are more than willing to help you with any of your queries.

Applying for Immigration Benefits
After figuring out what type of visa or green card you’re suitable for, you’ll need to figure out how to get it. Most people must acquire a visa at a U.S. consulate before departing for the United States. If you’re already in the United States legally, you must meet certain standards in order to be able to submit an application to adjust your status to permanent resident or to convert your status to another type of visa or you could meet with an immigration attorney to help change the status of your visa.

Where to Find the U.S. Immigration Laws?
The chances for a visa or green card are found under the U.S. federal law. You can find these laws in the Immigration and Nationality Act. But it’s easier to visit an immigration attorney, like Attorney Rivera, West Palm Beach. Here the Attorneys will take good care of you and they will make sure that your query or help is solved.

Citizenship and Residency
We have always been helping clients all over the 50 states in getting their residencies and citizenships.  We represent and go with the clients in all of their interview aspects and process while defending your rights before DHS.

It is crucial that you have an immigration attorney while processing your employment-based visa. We help to get your H, L, O, P, E and other investment visas (investors’ residencies, EB1, EB2, EB5, etc.)  and then residency for you and accompanying family member (spouse and single children under 21) and finally your US citizenship.

Deportation and Removal
You should always have an immigration attorney while facing deportation, you and your family could be separated indefinitely and you would want to make sure your rights are protected. If you have a relative detained, he or she may be entitled to be released without a bond or by paying the minimum possible bond.